All absences must be cleared by parent within 30 school days according to the SUHSD policy Regulation code AR 5113 (D). If absences are not cleared within 30 school days, the student must clear absences through Saturday school.
In order for a student to earn perfect attendance, the student must physically be present every day. School sponsored events are considered present. Although we understand the importance of perfect attendance, we do not recommend students attending school when sick as this potentially jeopardizes their own health and the health of others. Excused absences prevent a student from earning perfect attendance.
Excessive Excused Absences
According to the SUHSD policy Regulation code AR 5113 (D, E), it has been established that it is reasonable to be absent 1 day a month (equivalent to 7 days per semester or 14 days in a school year). Having more than 14 days of excused absences, may place your child under an “excessive excused absence contract”.
Students can clear excused, as well as unexcused, absences in Saturday School; one 4 hour Saturday School session will clear one full day absence.
Whenever an absence occurs for medical reasons, please make sure to provide a doctor’s note within 30 days, as these absences are coded differently.
Board Policy can be found here.
If a student is absent 14 or more excused days, the following measure will/may apply:
- Contact by Attendance Coordinator
- Excessive Excused Absence Contract
- If contract is not followed: PRE-SARB Contract
- SARB (Student Attendance Review Board)
- A student with 9 full unexcused days absent will be subject to a hearing at the district office, which results in a parent and students signing an attendance contract with a truancy probation officer. If SARB contract is violated, student will be referred to the Juvenile Justice System and/or be placed on probation.
- Alternative school placement
The State of California believes that the first priority is that the child attends school on a daily basis. For example, Welfare & AFDC benefits may end or be reduced drastically, if a student misses more than 3 full days of school. Education Code Section 48260-48263 provides definitions and referral procedures for:
- Any student subject to compulsory attendance who is absent without a valid excuse more than three (3) days in one school year is considered a habitual truant.
- Any student defined as habitual truant who continues an unacceptable pattern of unexcused absences or tardiness may be referred to the district’s SARB.
- Any student showing low academic performance may also have their permit revoked.
- Welfare and Institutions Code, Section 601 describes the consequences for habitual truancy if a minor pleads or is found guilty by trial to include but not limited to:
- Being made a ward of the court (placed on probation).
- Having a driver’s license revoked or denied until age eighteen.
- Being placed in juvenile hall for violation of court order.
Off Campus Passes
- Parent(s)/ Guardians must come in person to the attendance office to sign Off Campus slip and pick up the student. Proper identification is required and the legal name must match the guardian information listed in Infinite Campus. Students should not be waiting in the office for parent to pick up.
- No student will be released to anyone that is NOT listed as the guardian in Infinite Campus.
- Students who are 18 years old or older and drive to school need to provide a note with the following information before being released off campus:
- Student Name
- Reason for leaving
- Student ID#
- Student Phone Number